18 Warriors of the Gloom were joined together for a common purpose this morning. Remembering Tuesday, September 11, 2001 was the main focus of the morning as it will be for most of us throughout the rest of the day today. As we reflect on where we were on that fateful day 18 years ago and how all of our lives were changed forever in one way or another. We will never forget!
- Mosey from COT to faculty lot taking the long way around the student lot.
- 9 – SSH IC
- 11 – IW IC
- 9 Sec Plank, 11 Sec 6″ Plank – Silent Count
- 9 – MC IC
- Jimmy Dugan – C/L/R 11 seconds each – Silent Count
- Mosey to front of Highschool to grab some wall for
- 9 – Balls to Wall MC (Pause)
(Sheriff came to arrest Goodfella but we were told it was all just a big misunderstanding and he drove off after a brief discussion).True story!
- DK, Hold-for-time-against-the-wall Ladder(1 DK, 3 sec hold all the way up to 9 DK, 11 Sec hold increasing by 1 and 1 each set)
- Mosey to West side of faculty lot
- 9 – 6-count Burpees IC, Mosey to East side of faculty lot and around island for return to West side of faculty lot
- 11 – Merkins IC then JB to East side of faculty lot and back at 80%
- 9 – Carolina Dry Docks IC then JB to East side of faculty lot and back at 80%
- Mosey to Northwest corner of student lot and do 9+11=20 – WWII
- Winding Mosey to Southwest corner of student lot and do 9+11=20 – WWII
- Mosey to North side of student lot and do 9+11=20 LBC
- Mosey to South side of student lot and do 9+11=20 LBC
- Move east to next row and Mosey to North Side of student lot then do 9+11=20 FM
- Mosey to South side of student lot and do 9+11=20 FM
- Mosey to North side of student lot then do 9+11=20 AH
- Mosey to South side of student lot and do 9+11=20 AH
- Move East to next row and Mosey to North side of student lot then do 9 – MT
- JB to Northeast corner and come back at 80% then do 11 – MT IC
- Mosey to COT and Mary for 2 mins
- Sprinkles called out Flutters and we did 9+11=20 IC
- OneStar called out Protractors and we rotated between 9 and 11 degrees for what felt like an eternity but was really only about 1 minute and DONE!
Count-O-Rama, Name-O-Rama completed
We ended about 5 minutes early as Goodfella volunteered to lead a September 11, 2001 Memorial of sorts for the Dromedary PAX. Telling us of the 246 air passengers, 2,606 employees in the twin towers, 343 firefighters, 60 police officers and 8 paramedics all gave their lives. Many PAX shared their memories of that fateful day.
- Goodfella shared he lost 11 classmates from high school in the towers.
- Manny shared that he lost three of his college fraternity brothers.
- Johnny Utah shared how the FBI and the work he does for them changed after 9/11.
- FNG – Big Ben shared he was in Ireland at the time and provided the perspective of how the world outside of the USA reacted.
- Delta shared his story of being in the Navy and the massive buildup of troop carriers and tanks as they were loaded into ships to be sent to Afghanistan shortly after the events of 9/11. How powerful the scene was to him and his contemplation of re-enlistment.
We seemed mostly focused on the twin towers during our COT today and that is, for the most part, what I have observed people (myself included) focus on when we remember that day. Remember those that perished at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and on Flight 93 on a farm in PA. Also remember there are many lives lost still today from illnesses that were a direct result of those events.
The biggest lesson I think we can all learn from that day is to point out that while we live in a world that is relatively safe here in our little Waxhaw bubble, there is still a lot of darkness out there. Too many examples of what is wrong with society to point out specifics but it is men like us who share a similar value of community leadership who must bring light into the darkness and make it light again. Lead by example and love one-another as brothers.
- Prayers for Boytano and his family as they mourn the loss of his father.
Goodfella took us out.
Much of the focus was on the twin towers as they
Many PAX shared their memories of that fateful day. Where they were, how many people they knew in the towers, many survived, many lost.